Wednesday, April 6, 2011

~*Soul Mate*~

Earlier this week I spent some time with one of my best friend's and we wound up having a pretty deep discussion. One of the topics that came up was about Soul Mates and we each shared our thoughts about it. Growing up I always had this thought that a Soul Mate is the one person that compliments you and was made for you to ultimately be with in life. While we are meant to date around and experience things to help us grow, the person we are meant to marry and be with is our Soul Mate.

Last year, I did something completely out of the norm for me but something I had always been curious about, I went to a psychic. It turned out to be the most intriguing, eye opening, and eerie experience I had been through to date. The lady said so much stuff that was impossible for her to know, yet she did. One of the things she stated was about my Soul Mate, she stated that the person I was dealing with at the time was actually my Soul Mate and I was in total shock. Anyway, long story short...I left there confused with that statement because I couldn't see how and I felt like that couldn't be since he and I are no more. Me being the person I am I couldn't help but think I had lost my Soul Mate already, how could this be?....

So recently a friend brought to my attention some reading material (don't remember the name) that basically stated 'a soul mate can be more than one person, it can be your closest of friends, your family, or/and a lover.' That got me to start thinking outside of my "thought" of what a soul mate was because it made sense. My closest of friends mean the world to me they touch me in a way that can't be explained and so do
certain family members, GOD willing they will be with me for the rest of my life, in that they are my soul mates (so I believe in what I read). Then yesterday (going back to my conversation with my friend) she brings out the book, Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (yes, the movie was made based on this book). Gilbert stated in her book, "People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life. A true soul mate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then leave.

A soul mates purpose is to shake you up, tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so new light can get in, make you so desperate and out of control that you have to transform your life, then introduce you to your spiritual master..."

This statement smacked me right across the face (deep, right? LoL) and so many things that had been running through my mind including the words of the psychic and the confusion I held from my previous situations made sense to me. While everybody may have their own thought/ idea as to what a Soul Mate is to them, I will say i have evolved my opinion and the last two statements I mentioned (the reading material and the Gilbert statement) definitely mean the most to me and shape my definition of a Soul Mate.


What does a Soul Mate mean to you?

2 comments:

  1. I often wondered what a good definition of a soul mate was; and for the life of me I couldn't figure it out. You are trained to believe that a soul mate is JUST a lover..but now I that you have brought it to my attention. I kind believe this statement is right....."A soul mate can be more than one person, it can be your closest of friends, your family, or/and a lover".

    I love this......Keep them coming girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never actually knew what a soulmate was because as I knew I haven't really looked for one. I just know I was in a situation that I thought this person was my soulmate, but in the end realize that she was just there to show me who I was. Like Esined said society makes you think your soulmate is a lover, but from reading this my soulmate for the moment is GOD because he is the most important person I ever meet. He's my mirror, but I def agree with a soulmate being a mirror. But I'm glad you made this blog entry because I really learned what a soulmate is. Thanks

    ReplyDelete